Router is primarily an electronic device which is used to connect two or more networks and later to achieve effective communication between them. The role of such devices cannot be neglected. Apart from providing appropriate connectivity between two networks, it also ensures proper delivery of packets from source to destination via the shortest path. Such devices are also used to enhance network capabilities like:
- Performance improvement
- Ease of connecting more devices
- Expand the current network boundaries
- Make the network isolated
Being a popular brand Linksys router has gained tremendous attention. Although it comes with a disc which contains the necessary drivers to configure it with your machine, some machines lack availability of CD drive. Therefore, a web interface is provided for the configuration process. You can follow the below mentioned procedure step wise.
- Power on your Linksys Router
- Connect your router with modem with Ethernet cable.
- Plug your Ethernet cable into “Internet” or “WAN” port of the router.
- Connect another Ethernet cable to Ethernet port of your laptop and router.
- Type “192.168.1.1” on your internet explorer browser and press enter
- The page will ask for your username and password. The default username and password is “admin” and “admin” respectively.
- If the above password doesn’t work, try leaving username box blank and type “admin” into password or type “admin” in username and leave password box blank. This works for older Linksys router.
- The Basic Setup page will appear to set up your internet connection. Follow the options in the Internet Setup section.
- Click on “Wireless” tab on the top of the page. Type a desired name for your wireless network in to the Network Name (SSID) box. Click “Save Settings”
- Select “WPA2” from the “Security Mode” on the “Wireless Security” link at the top of page.
- Set a passphrase into Passphrase box and Save Settings.
However, the process to set up Linksys router is tedious and complex. If you face any problem with the set up or any other problem related to your Linksys Router, you can contact Linksys router support provider for better assistance from expert professionals.